Background: Hastings pier was built in 1872 and enjoying its prime in the 1930s, though becoming a popular music venue in the 1960s, it received major storm damage in 1990, closed to the public between 1999 and 2002, then closed again from 2006. Efforts continued to save the pier, which was in need of much investment. In the early hours of 5 October 2010 the pier suffered from a devastating fire (the second in its history) that destroyed 95% of its superstructure.
The pier has featured in many films and TV series, such as the ITV wartime drama Foyle’s War, which is set in Hastings. In 2009, it was featured in the music video for Ash’s A-Z series single “Tracers” and Kingmaker’s “Queen Jane” in 1993.
- Buy a share in Hastings Pier (hastingsobserver.co.uk)
- AUDIO: Hastings Pier shares ‘for £100’ (bbc.co.uk)
- £14m pier restoration to go ahead (themexicanpost.wordpress.com)
- Students rise to film challenge (hastingsobserver.co.uk)
- Investors can take a punt on new Hastings Pier (thejournal.co.uk)
- Community ownership offers ethical investors a local focus (theguardian.com)
- VIDEO: First stage of pier restoration begins (hastingsobserver.co.uk)